2.14.2012

Bulgur and Chickpea Salad and Roslindale Community Kitchen

My neighborhood, Roslindale, has started this great community kitchen that meets monthly. I have only been able to attend one session, but the basic gist is that a group of about 15 people get together, bring ingredients for a specific recipe, and cook together. When all have finished cooking, the dishes are divided amongst the attendees, so everyone goes home with a whole host of meals. This worked really well for me as my fiance is out of town during the week, and as such, my desire to cook for one dwindles.


At this event, I was introduced to Bulgur and Chickpea salad. I have seen dishes like it, such as tabbouleh, but had never tried this variety. After watching fresh parsley being chopped, and smelling the mix of garlic and lemon juice, I knew that I had to try this recipe at home- one portion wouldn't be enough for me!


The recipe is super simple, makes enough for 4-6 people, and tastes even better on days 2 and 3, making it ideal for leftovers and lunches. Most of the non perishables will probably be stocked in your pantry already, so the salad is great for weeknight meals as well.


If you would like more information about the Roslindale Community Kitchen, hop on over to Greening Rozzie's website for details. It's really a great concept, so if your neighborhood does not have one, start one!



Bulgur and Chickpea Salad

Ingredients
1 cup fine or medium ground bulgur- this can be found in the bulk section of grocery stores
2 garlic cloves, crushed
juice of 3 lemons
salt and pepper
7 tablespoons EVOO (adjust to taste, I used a little more)
1 14 oz can chickepeas, drained
3.5 cups loosely packed flat leaf parsley
1 cup loosely packed mint leaves

Soak the bulgur in lots of cold water for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and squeeze out excess water. In a bowl, mix together the garlic, lemon juice, S&P, and EVOO. Soak the drained chickpeas in this mixture for 10 minutes, and then stir in the bulgur. Mix in the parsley and mint when ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment