5.20.2010

Chocolate Bundt Cake=Delicious Disaster

Preface: I follow Joy the Baker’s blog like a criminal stalker. I love her recipes, pictures, and stories. I feel like I know every last tidbit about her life from my daily stalking of her page. And I am not ashamed one bit to even admit it.



Real Time: It was a lonely Wednesday night. I was trying to finish my menu for a breakfast I needed to prepare for my work group. I desperately wanted chocolate though to soothe my stressed and sad soul. Thankfully, Joy the Baker was there for me to lean on with the best ever Chocolate Bundt Cake.



Now, there’s a lot of people who claim to have the best this and the best that, so I admit it is hard to find a recipe to trust. But I am here to claim that this really is the best Chocolate Bundt Cake Ever. Hands Down. I have evidence.



You see, I wanted this cake so badly my knees quivered. After I had popped it out of the oven, and the aromas filled my apartment, I might have tried to flip the bundt pan a little early. Some might say wayyyy too early. Hence a disaster of a cake. Only half of it came out of the pan during my first flip. And then I tried again, and half of the leftover half came loose. Then finally, after much prying, the rest of the cake fell out in one big heaping chocolate cake mess.



I couldn’t waste it though after all of the hard work I put into it. So you know what I did? I treated this chocolate volcano like cake like a lava cake. I poured that yummy chocolately frosting all up and down this cake. Boy, am I glad I did. This cake was a smashing success, if even by my own standards. Thank you Joy for helping me on a yucky Wednesday night. You are the best.



Ohh, and so you know, here is what I learned, and you should too. When the recipe says to let the cake cool completely, do it. You won’t regret it. More importantly, when the recipe says to grease and flour the pan well, DO IT. Because really, you want that cake to turn out looking nice and pretty, not lumpy and dirt like.

The Best Chocolate Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze
~makes one 10-inch bundt cake

For the Cake:
1 1/4 cups plus 1 Tablespoon brewed coffee
3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cups plus 1 Tablespoon buttermilk
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups, plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted

For the Glaze:
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1/4 cup brewed coffee, cooled

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan and set aside.

To make the cake batter: Put brewed coffee and cocoa powder in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Remove from the heat and let come to room temperature.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a whisk attachment, mix together sugar, salt, baking soda, eggs and egg yolk on low speed for about 1 minute. Add the buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract and mix on low again for another minute.

Add the flour and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the cooled cocoa mixture and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes. The batter will be very loose. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted in the cake comes out clean.

Let the cake cool completely in the pan and then invert onto a cooling rack.

To make the icing: Chop the chocolate into small pieces, put them in a heatproof bowl (or a double boiler), and set the bowl over a pot of barely simmering water. Be sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the boiling water. Remove the bowl from the heat when all of the chocolate bits have melted.

Melt the butter in a separate pan or in the microwave. Whisk the melted butter into the melted chocolate until thoroughly incorporated. Sift in half of the powdered sugar. Add the sour cream and whisk to combine. Sift in the remaining powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. The glaze should be thick and shiny. Lastly, add the coffee and whisk to create a glossy glaze.

Pour the glaze over the Bundt cake, covering it completely. Leave at room temperature until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment