1.02.2011

Sizzlin' Shrimp Scampi

After a brief hiatus in my own kitchen due to winter holidays and a still ongoing "Nasty" ear infection, I am finally back at it, and this time, with one of my favorite meals, shrimp scampi. I had never made it before for fear of not making an even comparable rendition to a few of beloved Italian restaurants, but after being away from my kitchen for so long, I wanted to return with a bang.



The scampi recipe itself is super easy, however, my recipe reading skills had been on a break so long that I read them incorrectly. Fortunately, I am finally experienced enough with cooking that I was able to salvage my mistake and create a terrific meal!



I found the recipe here, a website that I had never heard of before. Thankfully though, the guy knew what he was doing when he came up with the recipe. The shrimp scampi was awesome, so so awesome. I will be repeating this meal, for both the taste, and the simplicity. It is a great weeknight meal, and is fairly nutritious too.



Shrimp Scampi
Adapted heavily from here

1/4 lb Shrimp
2 Cloves Pressed Garlic
1/4 tsp Salt
A dash of Cayenne
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter
1 tsp Sherry
I Pinch Lemon Zest- I didn't have a lemon, so I used extra lemon juice
1 Tbsp Chopped parsley
1 tsp Lemon Juice
I added kale and some bread crumbs at the end for added nutrition and texture.

Defrost the shrimp if they're frozen and peel them. In a small bowl combine the shrimp, garlic, salt, cayenne, and olive oil. Set that aside for a few minutes to let the shrimp marinate. If the shrimp are still a little bit frozen be sure to let it sit until they are completely thawed.

Meanwhile, start a pot of water to boil, and cook the pasta.

Over medium heat, in a small pan, melt the butter over medium low heat.. As soon as the butter has melted, add the shrimp. Let them simmer on one side until they're done half way through and then turn them and cook till done. The time will vary depending on many factors, but for the size shrimp I was using here I turned them after about 4 minutes and then cooked them for another 2 minutes

Just before the shrimp are just done add the sherry, lemon zest, parsley, and lemon juice. Stir everything together and cook for a few seconds more.

Michelle's Notes- I did not read the recipe in its entirety and mixed all ingredients together right off the bat to marinate. Fortunately this still worked too, and probably added more flavor. Prior to putting all ingredients in the pan though, I did add extra olive oil and garlic to make sure that the shrimp would not stick to the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment