8.09.2010

Purple Potatoes??

Our CSA always gives us quite a variety of vegetables and fruit. While the list of goodies is sent every Sunday, more often than not, there is always one or two additional surprises to the share. I must say that it is always fun to see something new, and try to figure out how to cook the new veggie, or rather, how to enjoy it to its fullest potential.



A few months ago, I read a post on a blog that I once read, Sucre et Sel d'Angy, about purple gnocchi. It was about the time I first tried my basil gnocchi, and I really wanted to find these indigo looking root veggie. Unfortunately, they did not really exist in the northeast because most consumers are turned off by the color. Potatoes are supposed to be white, or so the majority of America believes. Barbara Kingsolver taught me otherwise in her famous book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I thank her for telling me about the plethora of potatoes available in the world, and how Americans adapted to only liking the standard Russet or Yukon Gold.



I digress. I decided to try the gnocchi, but follow the original gnocchi recipe that I used before- potatoes, flour, and salt. Easy enough, that is for sure. However, while the recipe was easy, it did require a significant amount more of flour. It certainly didn't bother me though- I was amped about eating a purple pasta.



The gnocchi turned out great. I doused them with a little olive oil and parm cheese, and knowing me, added a lot of garlic. I served it with a few of our other CSA veggies of the week. Lucky for me, I even have some leftovers in the freezer!

You can find the recipe here. Just omit the basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment