11.22.2010

Brussel Sprouts au Great!

I know what you are going to say, brussel sprouts. EWWWWW!! I mean, I said that my whole life too. My mom, while typically a good cook, once tried to make the family eat brussel sprouts. When she cooked them, the end result was less than desired. They were burnt to a crisp, but we still had to eat them. I swore off the little cabbage looking veggie for years, until last week.



I was inspired by a lovely looking recipe from "Eating from the Ground Up" and the ever appearing brussel sprouts sales at my local Whole Foods. I decided to come out of my hiatus of eating them. Jack was not so happy with this choice. He hates brussel sprouts. Though before moving to Mass he also hated strawberries, peaches, apricots, and raspberries. I was determined to make him change his mind.



Thankfully, Brussel Sprouts au Gratin did the trick. This creamy concoction was easy, quick, and delicious. It definitely warrented seconds on my plate. I most certainly learned that adding cheese and cream to any semi bitter veggie really makes one want to eat lots of it!



Brussel Sprouts au Gratin
Adapted from "Eating from the Ground Up," which was adapted from Alice Waters

1 pound brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed and stems trimmed
1/3 cup breadcrumbs- I used a combination of Panko and Italian Crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan- I used Asiago
1/2 cup half and half- I used half heavy cream and half skim milk
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook the brussels sprouts in the water for 10 minutes, then drain. Chop them roughly, and transfer to a small casserole or gratin dish. Pour the cream over the brussels sprouts, then the parmesan, then the breadcrumbs, and then a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Dab the dish with pieces of butter, and bake for 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment