11.07.2010

Pumpkin Black Bean Curry Soup

My last post was about how to make your own pumpkin puree. This post is about a savory treat in which to use it. I may have mentioned before that Jack and I always make a soup on a Sunday to be used for lunches during the week. It is the easiest way for us to have something quick to grab to take for lunch at work, or also is a good standby on a night where we need a quick meal.



I love reminiscing how our soups have varied week to week by what fruits and vegetables are in season. We've done some kale soups, bean soups, tomato soups, eggplant soups, butternut squash soups, and most recently, a Pumpkin Black Bean Curry Soup. I was really searching for a while for the perfect soup to make that would incorporate these ingredients, but not any heavy creams or milks. I find that there are other ways to make soups hearty and delicious, while still being able to lay off the fatty creams. Now, don't get me wrong, I love a good creamy soup, but for a soup that will be eaten at least three times in a week, heavy cream is not the way to go.



Finally I found a recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Smitten Kitchen, that I heavily adapted based on what I had on hand, and what I wanted the end result soup to be. I have found that the ability to play around with the ingredients of a soup recipe, is what makes them so very versatile, and easy to manipulate to your current cravings. This one, this lovely little pumpkin-y, curry tasting, fiber filled soup, is most certainly a winner. Easy to make and easy to love!



Pumpkin Black Bean Curry Soup
Adapted heavily from Smitten Kitchen

Three 15 1/2 ounce cans black beans (about 4 1/2 cups), rinsed and drained
1 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup minced shallot- I used green onions
4 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin- I omitted cumin, and used Curry Powder instead
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
4 cups beef broth- I used chicken broth
a 16-ounce can pumpkin puree (about 1 1/2 cups)- Put my own homemade puree to use :)
1/2 cup dry Sherry
1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice- omitted the ham
3 to 4 tablespoons Sherry vinegar- omitted the vinegar as the soup would only be reheated, and not served at once

Garnish: sour cream and coarsely chopped lightly toasted pumpkin seeds

In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.

In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook onion, shallot, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and beginning to brown. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin, and Sherry until combined and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment