11.30.2010

Guts and Glory

Last night I picked up the second share from our CSF, Community Supported Fishery. Jack and I decided to join the Cape Ann Fresh Catch CSF earlier this fall, and the shares just recently started. The fish are caught in the North Atlantic, and delivered to various sites in the Boston area the same day, giving customers the freshest fish available.



For economic purposes, we decided to purchase whole fish rather than filleted. I was under the impression that filleting a fish and deboning it would be tough work, but not gross. See, less than a year ago I could not even touch meat, and now I am preparing all types of meat dishes. Last night, when I picked up the fish, I discovered what a "treat" I was about to face.



My first sight of the bag of fresh fish was a tail hanging out of the bag. Immediately, I gagged. Then I peered into the bag and saw two headless fish, a little blood, and a lot of slime and bones. I honestly did not think I could even pull the fish out of the bag without running away. Alas, a meowing crazy cat was trying to jump on the counter, and caused me to do some quick work to keep the food away from Oscar the cat.



Descaling a fish is tough work. You need sharp knives, and I thought I had those, but I don't think mine were sharp enough. You also need a lot of courage, and a working knowledge of fish anatomy, which I believed I had learned from various YouTube videos of fish gutting. I learned through the 30 minute process that fish have bladders, there is a lot of slime, that skin is not so easy to pull off, and that when finished, you reek of fish (and your cat lovessss you!).

When all was sad and done though, I felt pretty proud of myself for tackling this task. However, I will admit, I left the bones for Jack to do when he can. I can safely say that I have overcome yet another fear of meat!

1 comment: